Juan Malbertí presented the Project for the lighthouse and it was opened on november 1, 1903 with a light pattern of 2+1 occultations every 12 seconds. It was in service until 1982 when it was replaced by other beacons after the quay was lengthened.
The building was dismantled stone by stone and rebuilt on the main thoroughfare of the commercial docks. Before the lighthouse was built, a wooden tower with an octagonal lantern with wooden fittings and a reflector with a constant level lamp was used.
Was electrified in 1918, and from 1966 until its closure, the lighthouse used an electro-gas system that can now be seen at Portopí.