Designed by Mauro Serret and opened on September 1, 1913. The construction work was finished very quickly and the lighthouse was opened only 14 months after building work had started.
It used state of the art equipment from the start consisting of petrol vapour incandescent lamps. However instead of using material from the Chance Brothers’ factory in England, as was generally the case, material was purchased from Julius Pintsch’s factory in Berlin, whose material differed slightly from that of the Chance Brothers’.
It was also equipped with an oil burning lamp as back-up. The original light pattern was of 3+1 white flashes every 20 seconds which has kept up to the present day. The lantern which was also manufactured by Pintsch was cylindrical rather than polygonal but was still equipped with vertical fittings. Later lighthouses would be equipped with curved fittings because it was believed that vertical fittings produced shadows in the flashes.
After strong pressure by the French Government for the lighthouse to be built ( especially after the wreck of the steam packet “General Chanzy” in 1910, the lantern was first lit even though the building work was not completed until July 1914.
In storms blowing from the North, waves are forced up through a nearby blowhole, posing a serious problem for the maintenance of the lighthouse.
Formentor (4 Flashes every 20 seconds)