Menu sup

History

History

Originally was designed by Mauro Serret. The building of a simple beacon at Coves Blanques was included in the 1924 Plan for the Balearic Islands, as was the light at Es Vedrà. The Government started building work in 1926 and the lighthouse was opened on 7th July 1927. At first the light consisted of a simple tower with a lantern for an AGA KMEA 130 TRAD 130 acetylene naked flame flasher producing a light pattern consisting of isolated white flashes 0.3 0c 1=1.3s automated through the corresponding sun valve. The 1967 Improvement Plan recommended that the beacon be upgraded to a lighthouse so in 1971 a tower was built with an internal staircase and a 1.75m lantern. These modifications meant that the lighthouse now produced a light pattern consisting of groups of 3 white flashes every 15 seconds. It was opened in September 1972 and was converted to solar power in 1985. It is the westernmost lighthouse in the Balearic Archipelago. In 2009 the 1972 lantern was replaced by a new 1.75m diameter assembly manufactured by Mediterráneo Señales Marítimas SA that had to be transported and installed by helicopter.