Was designed by Emili Pou. The first light used a rotating catadioptric lens with 12 central panels emitting a pattern consisting of a stationary light with prolonged flashes every 30 seconds. Was opened on april 30, 1863. In 1927 a new lens in a mercury flotation bath was installed. This is now on display at the Portopí exhibition. The old rotating mechanism was installed as part of the mercury flotation assembly at La Mola lighthouse in Formentera in 1928. The light now emitted a signal of four flashes. In 1971 the lantern and the lens were replaced. The construction of this lighthouse was complicated by the extremely harsh, remote terrain of the Formentor peninsula. The workers had to work Sundays and holidays and when this news reached of the Bishop of Mallorca he had an altar built on a site where the workers could hear mass before going to work. In 1962 a power line was installed but continued lightning strikes rendered it useless and it was finally decided that the lighthouse would be powered by two generators. Now the lighthouse is solar powered and remote controlled. The old lighthouse keepers’ dwellings have been refurbished in order to offer services to tourists, given that this is one of the most visited spots on the island. The Formentor light has the highest focal plane above sea level of all the lighthouses in the Balearic Islands. Until the 1920s the track to the lighthouse wound its way for twenty kilometres from Cala Murta.
Punta Nati (3 + 1 Fl. every 20 sec.)
Artrutx (3 Fl. every 10 sec.)
Ciutadella (flashing every 6 sec.)